Backpacking through Europe, a journey you will never forget
You have just finished another school year and now it is time to have some fun! You may travel alone or start an adventure with your best friends, in any case, enjoy your trip. Europe receives about 324 million tourists each year, accounting for a large part of the world’s tourism, so plan ahead to save some money for next year’s tuition.
Europe is a traveler's dream, take the opportunity and cross into this old continent. Visit its impressive architecture, its great culture and its delicious gastronomy, an experience that will remain engraved in your memory. Please keep in mind that if your time in Europe exceeds 90 days, you will need to apply for a Schengen Visa (Click here for more information) and a Travel Insurance plan of at least 30,000 EUR in medical coverage, approximately 35,000 USD.
Before your trip, consider...
- How you will get around. Interrail is a great way to travel across Europe, keep in mind that seats are subject to availability, so plan ahead. Interrail is perfect if you want to see the big cities in Europe, however in some cities renting a car in advance can be slightly cheaper.
- Europe also has many low-cost flights that if you buy in advance could start as low as 15 USD, this will allow you to travel much faster and in less time!
- Do not travel without having your accommodation planned ahead of time because during the summer, both hotels and hostels are usually at their maximum capacity and it is generally difficult to find a place to stay.
- If you are a student, carry your student ID with you. Students can receive discounts in several tourist locations; in addition, if you apply for an ISIC (INTERNATIONAL STUDENT IDENTITY CARD) you may also find discounts at hotels, restaurants and department stores.
- ALWAYS, Always take out a travel insurance policy, it will allow you to enjoy your trip to the maximum and offer you protection while making the most of your trip.
- Always carry a foreign transaction fee credit card with you. Most establishments in Europe accept credit cards even for small purchases; this eliminates the risk of carrying cash and conversion rate fees.
- Carry only what you need in your suitcase. Buy a backpack that fits your needs and never carry more than 1/6th of your body weight so that it is not too heavy.
What are you most excited about discovering? The famous Eiffel Tower in Paris, the unique Tower of Pisa, the historic Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, the imposing Colosseum in Rome or perhaps a gondola ride through a Venice canal in Italy?
Take into account your budget and above all how much time you have. If your time is limited, we suggest you book a tour through a travel agency of your choice, this way you will be able to see more in a shorter time frame.
If you are lucky enough to be able to travel for longer, we suggest you dedicate a few days to each country. Sometimes in order to see as many destinations as possible we only spend a day or a few hours in certain countries and we only see a fraction of what they have to offer. Making a backpacking trip is not just any adventure, it is an attitude and a mindset that we have to have to get rid of prejudices, enjoy everything that comes and get the most out of every minute you spend traveling, that's why when travelling to Europe, fewer countries means more.
Dare to participate in activities you do not normally do at home! Try the local cuisine, take trains, visit monuments, enjoy the sunrises, learn a new sport, make friends and take the opportunity to get to know yourself better. We all smile in the same language, give yourself a chance to show everything you are capable of doing and take all the pictures that your cell phone can store.
At AXA, we want you to see the world and live your life to the fullest, that is why we offer several travel protection plans, which include travel insurance and travel assistance services, so that you can enjoy every minute of your trip, with a feeling of tranquility that only a leader in Travel Assistance can provide.
Look out for our future post where we will suggest destinations and countries so that you can decide and start planning your next trip in advance, spending less and learning more. If you already have your backpack packed, what are you waiting for? Get a Quote for our travel protection plans today!
"The real voyage of discovery is not about looking for new landscapes, but about looking at new horizons." Marcel Proust.
Disclaimer: Welcome to the AXA Assistance USA Travel Insurance Blog! The Travel on Blog is intended to provide you with entertaining and educational information of a general nature. The articles are for editorial purposes only and are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified professional. Please contact AXA Assistance USA if you have any questions.
AXA already looks after millions of people around the world
With our travel insurance we can take great care of you too