How to Travel Smart: Top 15 Tips
It’s vacation time! All of the arrangements have been made and travel insurance purchased, now on to packing.
Here are 15 tips to help get you organized and pack like a pro.
1. Check the weather of your vacation destination. Do you need to pack an umbrella? Hiking shoes? Swimsuit? Knowing the weather expected for the duration of your trip will help you pack more efficiently and be well prepared for your trip.
2. Double-check your airline’s baggage policy to know if/what fees may be charged as well as size and weight limitations. These details vary and may be found under the airline’s baggage policy on their website.
3. Create a customized packing checklist so you don’t forget any of the essentials and can purchase any necessary items before you go.
4. If possible, take carry-on luggage instead of checking it. This will keep you from having to wait for your baggage, reduce the chances of it being lost, and may save you from paying checked bag fees.
5. Be sure all of your electronic devices are fully charged prior to leaving home. If there is a delay, you won’t be scrambling searching for an available outlet.
6. Pack all toiletries and liquids in clear, sealable bags. Remember all liquid bottles carried on the plane must be 3.4 ounces or less.
7. If you take daily medications, pack extra in the event of delays, and we suggest packing in your carry-on luggage in case of lost or delayed baggage.
8. Don’t bring expensive jewelry or watches, there’s no sense in risking costly pieces to be lost or stolen.
9. Wear layers for the course of the journey in case you become too hot or cold on the flight, it will be easy to adjust accordingly.
10. Pack color-coordinated separates that can be pulled together with various pieces for multiple outfits to maximize your wardrobe options. In addition, accessories such as scarves, ties, less expensive jewelry can easily help change an entire look to go from day to night without having to pack multiple outfits.
11. Bring a goody bag stocked with items to make the journey to your destination comfortable. Suggested items include: earbuds, lotion, snacks, pain reliever, lip balm, travel pillow, something to read and/or a tablet with downloaded entertainment ready to view. Bring extra plastic bags for wet clothes and/or dirty laundry.
12. Photocopy your passport and be sure it is packed separately from the original. It is much easier to obtain a replacement at the local US embassy, in the event your original passport is lost. It is also a good idea to leave a copy back home with a loved one.
13. Provide family/loved ones with your itinerary and hotel information in case of emergency.
14. Sharing is not caring. Do not post information on social media sites that you are away from home before or during your trip. Doing so may be an invitation to home invasion.
15. While you’re away, adjust your home’s thermometer so it is not running unnecessarily while you are gone.