Travel Insurance for Vietnam
Ah, Vietnam – a vibrant chaos of scooters zipping around, ancient temples that have seen it all, and greenery that makes you feel like you're in a nature hug. This Southeast Asian gem isn't just about rich culture and history – it's also the kingdom of adventures and, of course, the land of the mighty pho.
Before you kick off your shoes and wade into the wonders of Vietnam, let's talk about practical matters. While Vietnam's known for the stunning Ha Long Bay and its gregarious people, it's also a place where even the savviest traveler might hit a speed bump. Let's dive into the everything you need to know abouet travel insurance for Vietnam so you can face unexpected travel hiccups with confidence.
What should your travel insurance cover for a trip to Vietnam?
At a minimum, your travel insurance should cover trip cancellation, trip interruption and emergency medical expenses. When it comes to international travel, the US Department of State outlines key components that should be included in your travel insurance coverage.
AXA Travel Protection plans are designed with these minimum recommended coverages in mind.
- Medical Coverage – The top priority is making sure your health is in order. With AXA Travel Protection, you can have access to quality healthcare during your trip overseas in the event of unexpected medical emergencies.
- Trip Cancellation & Interruptions – Assistance against unexpected trip disruptions can dampen the mood, AXA Travel Protection offers coverage against unforeseen events.
- Emergency Evacuations and Repatriation – In situations where transportation is dire, AXA Travel Protection offers provisions for emergency evacuation and repatriation.
- Coverage for Personal Belongings – AXA offers coverage for your belongings with assistance against lost or delayed baggage.
- Optional Cancel for Any Reason – For added flexibility, AXA offers optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage, allowing you to cancel your trip for non-traditional reasons. Exclusive to Platinum Plan holders.
How does Travel Insurance for Vietnam work?
Imagine: you're on a motorbike adventure through the winding roads of Dalat. Suddenly, an unexpected slip or a minor mishap occurs, and you find yourself in need of medical attention. Here's where an AXA Travel Protection plan steps in with its "Emergency Medical Expenses" benefit.
From hospital stays to doctor's fees, AXA can support and assist so you're not left navigating the complications of the Vietnamese healthcare system. Moreover, if the situation takes a serious turn and requires evacuation to the nearest medical facility or even repatriation, AXA Travel Protection's got your back.
Here’s how travelers can benefit from an AXA Travel Protection Plan:
- Emergency Medical Expenses: Should you fall ill or have an accident during your trip, your policy may offer coverage for medical expenses, including hospital stays and doctor's fees.
- Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In case of a serious medical emergency, your policy may include provisions for evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility or repatriation.
- Non-Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In non-medical crises (e.g., political unrest), your policy may cover evacuation or repatriation, subject to policy terms.
- Trip Cancellation: You may be eligible for reimbursement if you cancel your trip due to a sudden illness or injury.
- COVID-19 Travel Insurance: Coverage is available for trip cancellation and medical expenses related to COVID-19, subject to policy terms and conditions.
- Trip Delay: If your flight faces delays due to unforeseen circumstances, you may have coverage for additional expenses such as meals and accommodations.
Post-Departure Travel Benefits:
- Trip Interruption: In case of an unexpected event, you could be eligible for reimbursement for the unused portion of your trip.
- Missed Connection: If you miss a connecting flight due to delays or cancellations, this coverage may help with expenses like rebooking fees and accommodations.
- Luggage Delay: If the airline delays your checked baggage, your policy might offer reimbursement for essential items like clothing and toiletries.
- Lost or Stolen Luggage: In the unfortunate event of permanent loss or theft of your luggage, your policy may offer reimbursement for its value, assisting you in replacing your belongings.
Additional Optional Travel Benefits:
- Rental Car (Collision Damage Waiver): Exclusive to Gold & Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit gives travelers extra coverage on their rental car against damage and theft.
- Cancel for Any Reason: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders; this optional benefit gives travelers more flexibility to cancel their trip for any reason outside of their standard policy.
- Loss Skier Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate some costs associated with pre-paid ski tickets that you or your traveling companion cannot use due to specified slope closures.
- Loss Golf Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate the expenses linked to prepaid golf arrangements that you or your travel companion are unable to utilize due to specified golf closures.
Do I need Travel Insurance for Vietnam?
Although it's not required to have travel insurance for Vietnam, we highly recommend that travelers think about getting an insurance plan to make sure they stay well-protected during their visit.
Why? There are several reasons:
Medical Emergencies: Given the adventurous activities in Vietnam, the potential for minor mishaps or unexpected health issues is notable. Having coverage for emergency medical expenses ensures that you can seek necessary medical attention without worrying about the financial burden.
Lost Baggage: Airlines sometimes mishandle baggage, and the last thing you want is to be without your essentials in an unfamiliar place. Travel insurance offers to cover the cost of replacing necessary items, allowing you to continue on.
Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: While Vietnam's healthcare has improved through the years, the quality of healthcare in more rural or remote areas may not be as advanced. In the event of a serious medical emergency, having coverage for emergency evacuation to the nearest suitable medical facility or repatriation becomes crucial.
How much does Travel Insurance cost for Vietnam?
In general, travel insurance costs about 3 – 10% of your total prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses. The cost of travel insurance depends on two factors for AXA Travel Protection plans:
- Total Trip cost: The total non-prepaid and non-refundable costs you have already paid for your upcoming trip. This includes prepaid excursions, plane tickets, cruise costs, etc.
- Age: Like any other insurance type, the correlation is rooted in increased health risks associated with older individuals. It's important to note that this doesn't make travel insurance unattainable for older individuals.
With AXA Travel Protection, travelers to Ecuador will be offered three tiers of insurance: Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each provides varying levels of coverage to cater to individual's preferences and travel needs.
Our Suggested AXA Travel Protection Plan
AXA presents travelers with three travel plans – the Silver Plan, Gold Plan, and Platinum Plan, each offering different levels of coverage to suit individual needs. Given that Vietnam hospitals often do not accept U.S. health insurance or Medicare, we genuinely recommend travelers consider purchasing any of these plans, particularly for the crucial coverage they offer for emergency accident and sickness medical expenses. Travelers to Vietnam may want extra coverage.
The Platinum Plan is a good choice for travelers who want a bit of extra coverage. Cancel for Any Reason is an option that offers coverage for canceling a trip for any reason. The Collision Damage Waiver coverage is also optional. It covers collisions, theft or damage to a rental car being used during your Vietnam trip.
What Types of Medical Coverage Do AXA Travel Protection Plans Offer?
AXA covers three types of medical expenses:
- Emergency medical expenses
- Emergency evacuation & repatriation
- Non-medical emergency evacuation & repatriation
Emergency Medical: Can cover medical expenses, hospital stays, and even emergency evacuations, covering the expenses of hefty bills and ensuring access to quality healthcare while away from home.
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Can cover your immediate transportation home in the event of an accidental injury or illness.
Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Offers assistance in unexpected situations such as political unrest or natural disasters, ensuring safe and timely relocation to a secure location or repatriation back home.
Are there any COVID-19 restrictions for Travelers to Vietnam?
Starting in 2023, travelers heading to Vietnam no longer have to show a valid Covid-19 vaccine card or a negative PCR test. The travel restrictions in Vietnam have been lifted, making the entry process simpler for all travelers.
Traveling with pre-existing Medical Conditions?
Traveling with pre-existing medical conditions can complicate your plans, but with AXA Travel Protection, we're here to support you during your trip.
Our Gold and Platinum plans offer coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. The Platinum plan, in particular, is our highest-offered choice for travelers who want our highest coverage limits and optional add-ons,
What does this mean for you? If you've got a medical condition that's been hanging around, you can qualify for coverage under our Gold and Platinum plans with a pre-existing medical condition, so long as it’s within 14 days of placing your initial trip deposit and in our 60-day look-back period. We're here to ensure you travel easily, no matter your health situation.
1. Can you buy travel insurance after booking a flight?
You can buy travel insurance even after your flight is booked.
2. When should I buy Travel Insurance to Vietnam?
Purchasing travel insurance for your trip is advisable as soon as you have made your initial trip deposit (prepaid and non-refundable trip costs.)
AXA Travel Protection offers coverage as soon as you purchase your protection plan. We can give coverage against unforeseen events before you leave for your trip.
Additionally, our policies offer coverage for preexisting medical conditions and Cancel for Any Reason if you purchase your protection within 14 days of making your initial trip deposit.
3. Do Americans need travel insurance in Vietnam?
While travel insurance is not a mandatory requirement for Americans visiting Vietnam, it is highly recommended. Travel insurance can provide financial protection and assistance in case of unexpected events such as medical emergencies, trip cancellations, lost luggage, or other travel-related issues.
4. What is needed to visit Vietnam from the USA?
For a trip to Vietnam, US citizens need a visa for tourism or business, obtainable from the Vietnamese Embassy in the US or through a single-entry e-visa on the Vietnam Immigration website. Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months beyond your intended stay and has at least one blank visa page.
5. What happens if a tourist gets sick in Vietnam?
If you become sick in Vietnam, travelers with AXA Travel protection can contact the AXA Assistance hotline at 855-327-1442. Contact information is typically provided within the insurance documentation. Please ensure to read through your policy details and information.
Disclaimer: It is important to note that Destination articles are for editorial purposes only and are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified professional. Specifics of travel coverage for your destination will depend on the plan selected, the date of purchase, and the state of residency. Customers are advised to carefully review the terms and conditions of their policy. Contact AXA Travel Insurance if you have any questions. AXA Assistance USA, Inc.© 2023 All Rights Reserved.
AXA already looks after millions of people around the world
With our travel insurance we can take great care of you too