Travel Insurance for Egypt
The Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx take travelers back 5,000 years in time, and they are just a couple of the “must-see” tourist sites in Egypt. Cairo, Egypt’s capital, is one of the oldest cities in the world, and early architecture is evident all around the city.
When embarking on such timeless adventures, it's important to have assistance and support for your journey and travel insurance can offer that. Whether you're marveling at the ancient wonders of Giza or navigating the historic streets of Cairo, unforeseen circumstances can arise.
Let’s dive into our guide about Egypt.
What Should Your Travel Insurance Cover for a Trip to Egypt?
At a minimum, your travel insurance should cover trip cancellation, trip interruption and emergency medical expenses. When it comes to international travel, the US Department of State outlines key components that should be included in your travel insurance coverage.
AXA Travel Protection plans are designed with these minimum recommended coverages in mind.
- Medical Coverage – The top priority is making sure your health is in order. With AXA Travel Protection, you can have access to quality healthcare during your trip overseas in the event of unexpected medical emergencies.
- Trip Cancellation & Interruptions – Assistance against unexpected trip disruptions can dampen the mood, AXA Travel Protection offers coverage against unforeseen events.
- Emergency Evacuations and Repatriation – In situations where transportation is dire, AXA Travel Protection offers provisions for emergency evacuation and repatriation.
- Coverage for Personal Belongings – AXA offers coverage for your belongings with assistance against lost or delayed baggage.
- Optional Cancel for Any Reason – For added flexibility, AXA offers optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage, allowing you to cancel your trip for non-traditional reasons. Exclusive to Platinum Plan holders.
In just a few seconds, you can get a free quote and purchase the best travel insurance for Egypt.
How Does Travel Insurance Work in the Egypt?
The crime rate in Egypt is relatively low, yet political tensions periodically surface in certain areas of the country. Travelers may want to educate themselves about the safest places to visit. Beyond that, tourists must take normal travel safety precautions to prevent burglary and theft.
All is not lost if your baggage gets stolen from your hotel when you have an AXA Travel Protection Plan. Travel insurance will replace your belongings and your bags so you can continue enjoying your Egypt trip.
Here is how travelers can benefit from an AXA Travel Protection Plan:
- Luggage Delay: If the airline delays your checked baggage, your policy might offer reimbursement for essential items like clothing and toiletries.
- Lost or Stolen Luggage: In the unfortunate event of permanent loss or theft of your luggage, your policy may offer reimbursement for its value, assisting you in replacing your belongings.
- Emergency Medical Expenses: Should you fall ill or have an accident during your trip, your policy may offer coverage for medical expenses, including hospital stays and doctor's fees.
- Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In case of a serious medical emergency, your policy may include provisions for evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility or repatriation.
- Non-Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In non-medical crises (e.g., political unrest), your policy may cover evacuation or repatriation, subject to policy terms.
- Trip Cancellation: You may be eligible for reimbursement if you cancel your trip due to a sudden illness or injury.
- COVID-19 Travel Insurance: Coverage is available for trip cancellation and medical expenses related to COVID-19, subject to policy terms and conditions.
- Trip Delay: If your flight faces delays due to unforeseen circumstances, you may have coverage for additional expenses such as meals and accommodations.
Post-Departure Travel Benefits
- Trip Interruption: In case of an unexpected event, you could be eligible for reimbursement for the unused portion of your trip.
- Missed Connection: If you miss a connecting flight due to delays or cancellations, this coverage may help with expenses like rebooking fees and accommodations.
Additional Optional Travel Benefits
- Rental Car (Collision Damage Waiver): Exclusive to Gold & Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit gives travelers extra coverage on their rental car against damage and theft.
- Cancel for Any Reason: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders; this optional benefit gives travelers more flexibility to cancel their trip for any reason outside of their standard policy.
- Loss Skier Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate some costs associated with pre-paid ski tickets that you or your traveling companion cannot use due to specified slope closures.
- Loss Golf Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate the expenses linked to prepaid golf arrangements that you or your travel companion are unable to utilize due to specified golf closures.
Do I Need Travel Insurance for Egypt?
While the Egyptian government does not require travelers to purchase travel insurance, it offers assistance and support against unexpected costs such as medical emergencies, lost baggage and other disruptions in your trip.
A travel insurance plan can be a valuable resource if you run into a problem and unsure of how to handle it in a foreign country.
Some reasons that could arise:
Medical Emergencies: Your health is a top priority. If you face a sudden illness or injury in Egypt travel insurance offers the means to receive prompt and quality medical care.
Lost Baggage: Airlines sometimes mishandle baggage, and the last thing you want is to be without your essentials in an unfamiliar place. Travel insurance offers to cover the cost of replacing necessary items, allowing you to continue on.
Trip Delay: Travel advisories, severe weather, or civil commotion can cause your trip to be delayed. Travel insurance can compensate you for non-refundable expenditures you paid before taking your trip.
How Much Does Travel Insurance Cost for Egypt?
In general, travel insurance costs about 3 – 10% of your total prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses. The cost of travel insurance depends on two factors for AXA Travel Protection plans:
- Total Trip cost: The total non-prepaid and non-refundable costs you have already paid for your upcoming trip. This includes prepaid excursions, plane tickets, cruise costs, etc.
- Age: Like any other insurance type, the correlation is rooted in increased health risks associated with older individuals. It's important to note that this doesn't make travel insurance unattainable for older individuals.
With AXA Travel Protection, travelers to Egypt will be offered three tiers of insurance: Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each provides varying levels of coverage to cater to individual's preferences and travel needs.
Our Suggested AXA Travel Protection Plan
AXA presents travelers with three travel plans – the Silver Plan, Gold Plan, and Platinum Plan, each offering different levels of coverage to suit individual needs. Given that Egypt hospitals often do not accept U.S. health insurance or Medicare, we genuinely recommend travelers to consider purchasing any of these plans, particularly for the crucial coverage they offer for emergency accident and sickness medical expenses.
The Platinum Plan is a good choice for travelers to Egypt who want broader coverages. For example, "Cancel for Any Reason" is optional coverage that offers greater flexibility for those who have concerns about having to cancel their trip for a reason not covered under their plan.
Collision Damage Waiver coverage is also available as an option and it covers collisions, theft or damage to a rental car being used during your Egypt trip.
What types of medical coverage does AXA Travel Protection plans offer?
Axa covers three types of medical expenses:
- Emergency medical
- Emergency evacuation & repatriation
- Non-medical emergency evacuation & repatriation
Emergency Medical: Can cover insect-borne illnesses or health issues caused by contaminated water. It can also cover an injury due to a fall, car accident, or dog bite.
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Can cover your immediate transportation home in the event of an accidental injury or illness.
Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Can cover evacuation or repatriation expenses due to a non-medical event such as a cyclone, dust storm, heavy rain or heatwave which are common in Egypt.
Are There Any COVID-19 Restrictions for Travelers to Egypt?
The Egyptian government has lifted all COVID-19 restrictions for travelers entering the country. They recommend travelers take normal precautions.
Traveling with pre-existing Medical Conditions?
Traveling with preexisting medical conditions can complicate your plans, but with AXA Travel Protection, we're here to support you during your trip.
Traveling with pre-existing medical conditions can complicate your plans, but with AXA Travel Protection, we're here to support you during your trip.
Our Gold and Platinum plans offer coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. The Platinum plan, in particular, is our highest-offered choice for travelers who want our highest coverage limits and optional add-ons,
What does this mean for you? If you've got a medical condition that's been hanging around, you can qualify for coverage under our Gold and Platinum plans with a pre-existing medical condition, so long as it’s within 14 days of placing your initial trip deposit and in our 60-day look-back period. We're here to ensure you travel easily, no matter your health situation.
1.Can you buy travel insurance after booking a flight?
You can buy travel insurance even after your flight is booked.
2.When should I buy Travel Insurance to Egypt?
It's advisable to purchase travel insurance for your trip as soon as you have made your initial trip deposit (prepaid and non-refundable trip costs.)
AXA Travel Protection offers coverage as soon as you purchase your protection plan. We can give coverage against unforeseen events before you leave for your trip.
Additionally, our policies offer coverage for preexisting medical conditions and Cancel for Any Reason if you purchase your protection within 14-days of making your initial trip deposit.
3.Do Americans need travel insurance in Egypt?
No, travel insurance is not currently required to visit Egypt, although you may find it valuable.
4.What is needed to visit Egypt from the USA?
If you are visiting Egypt from the USA, you must have a single-entry 30-day tourist visa.
5.What happens if a tourist gets sick in Egypt?
If you become sick in Egypt, travelers with AXA Travel protection can contact the AXA Assistance hotline 855-327-1442. Contact information is typically provided within the insurance documentation. Please ensure to read through your policy details and information.
Disclaimer: It is important to note that Destination articles are for editorial purposes only and are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified professional. Specifics of travel coverage for your destination will depend on the plan selected, the date of purchase, and the state of residency. Customers are advised to carefully review the terms and conditions of their policy. Contact AXA Travel Insurance if you have any questions. AXA Assistance USA, Inc.© 2023 All Rights Reserved.
AXA already looks after millions of people around the world
With our travel insurance we can take great care of you too
At your side, everyday