Travel Insurance for Iceland
Iceland, a land of unparalleled natural beauty, captivates with its dramatic landscapes adorned by volcanoes, glaciers, and hot springs. Known as the Land of Fire and Ice, it boasts cascading waterfalls, cerulean blue ice caves, and the magical Northern Lights. Its rich cultural heritage and welcoming locals make it an adventurer's paradise and a haven for nature enthusiasts worldwide.
We understand if you can't wait to explore the beauty of Iceland, but you need to be fully prepared when traveling to this stunning country. This means making sure you have the right travel insurance that offers you adequate coverage for unexpected travel delays and disruptions, medical emergencies, or other unforeseen events.
By understanding AXA's travel insurance choices, exploration of Iceland's awe-inspiring landscapes and thrilling adventures can be even better.
What should your travel insurance cover for a trip to Iceland?
At a minimum, your travel insurance should cover trip cancellation, trip interruption and emergency medical expenses. When it comes to international travel, the US Department of State outlines key components that should be included in your travel insurance coverage. AXA Travel Protection plans are designed with these minimum recommended coverages in mind.
- Medical Coverage – The top priority is making sure your health is in order. With AXA Travel Protection, you can have access to quality healthcare during your trip overseas in the event of unexpected medical emergencies.
- Trip Cancellation & Interruptions – Assistance against unexpected trip disruptions can dampen the mood, AXA Travel Protection offers coverage against unforeseen events.
- Emergency Evacuations and Repatriation – In situations where transportation is dire, AXA Travel Protection offers provisions for emergency evacuation and repatriation.
- Coverage for Personal Belongings – AXA offers coverage for your belongings with assistance against lost or delayed baggage.
- Optional Cancel for Any Reason – For added flexibility, AXA offers optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage, allowing you to cancel your trip for non-traditional reasons. Exclusive to Platinum Plan holders.
In just a few seconds, you can get a free quote and purchase the best travel insurance for Iceland.
How Does Travel Insurance for Iceland Work?
Iceland is known for its stunning but dangerous landscapes like the Reynisfjara black sand beach or the Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. If you get injured before or during your adventure, travel insurance can cover incurred costs. Moreover, in case of serious medical emergencies, it ensures your transfer to a better-equipped location for necessary treatment or safety, providing essential support during your Icelandic journey.
If things take a turn for the worse, you can count on AXA to assist you in creating a plan of action.
Here’s how travelers can benefit from an AXA Travel Protection Plan:
- Emergency Medical Expenses: Should you fall ill or have an accident during your trip, your policy may offer coverage for medical expenses, including hospital stays and doctor's fees.
- Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In case of a serious medical emergency, your policy may include provisions for evacuation to the nearest appropriate medical facility or repatriation.
- Non-Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation: In non-medical crises (e.g., political unrest), your policy may cover evacuation or repatriation, subject to policy terms.
- Luggage Delay: If the airline delays your checked baggage, your policy might offer reimbursement for essential items like clothing and toiletries.
- Lost or Stolen Luggage: In the unfortunate event of permanent loss or theft of your luggage, your policy may offer reimbursement for its value, assisting you in replacing your belongings.
- Trip Cancellation: You may be eligible for reimbursement if you cancel your trip due to a sudden illness or injury.
- COVID-19 Travel Insurance: Coverage is available for trip cancellation and medical expenses related to COVID-19, subject to policy terms and conditions.
- Trip Delay: If your flight faces delays due to unforeseen circumstances, you may have coverage for additional expenses such as meals and accommodations.
Post-Departure Travel Benefits
- Trip Interruption: In case of an unexpected event, you could be eligible for reimbursement for the unused portion of your trip.
- Missed Connection: If you miss a connecting flight due to delays or cancellations, this coverage may help with expenses like rebooking fees and accommodations.
Additional Optional Travel Benefits
- Rental Car (Collision Damage Waiver): Exclusive to Gold & Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit gives travelers extra coverage on their rental car against damage and theft.
- Cancel for Any Reason: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders; this optional benefit gives travelers more flexibility to cancel their trip for any reason outside of their standard policy.
- Loss Skier Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate some costs associated with pre-paid ski tickets that you or your traveling companion cannot use due to specified slope closures.
- Loss Golf Days: Exclusive to Platinum plan policy holders, this optional benefit offers reimbursement to mitigate the expenses linked to prepaid golf arrangements that you or your travel companion are unable to utilize due to specified golf closures.
Do I Need Travel Insurance for Iceland?
Iceland does not require travel insurance from U.S. or EU visitors. However, medical expenses are self-funded, and unforeseen circumstances like trip cancellations due to adverse weather or volcanic activity can be covered by travel insurance, offering protection against such events.
Why? There are several reasons:
Medical Emergencies: Your health is a top priority. If you face a sudden illness or injury in New York, travel insurance offers the means to receive prompt and quality medical care.
Lost Baggage: Airlines sometimes mishandle baggage, and the last thing you want is to be without your essentials in an unfamiliar place. Travel insurance offers to cover the cost of replacing necessary items, allowing you to continue on.
Flight Delays: Travel disruptions like flight delays can happen. If you miss a connecting flight or incur additional expenses due to delays, travel insurance can help cover the costs.
How Much Does Travel Insurance Cost for Iceland?
In general, travel insurance costs about 3 – 10% of your total prepaid and non-refundable trip expenses. The cost of travel insurance depends on two factors for AXA Travel Protection plans:
With AXA Travel Protection, travelers to Iceland will be offered three tiers of insurance: Silver, Gold and Platinum. Each provides varying levels of coverage to cater to individual's preferences and travel needs.
Our Suggested AXA Travel Protection Plan
AXA presents travelers with three travel plans – the Silver Plan, Gold Plan, and Platinum Plan, each offering different levels of coverage to suit individual needs. Given that Iceland hospitals often do not accept U.S. health insurance or Medicare, we genuinely recommend travelers consider purchasing any of these plans, particularly for the crucial coverage they offer for emergency accident and sickness medical expenses.
Note: AXA’s Platinum Plan offers Lost Ski Day coverage, intended to reimburse some expenses in situations where ski resorts unexpectedly close due to specific reasons such as adverse weather conditions or other designated slope closures. If you or your travel companion have pre-paid ski tickets that become unusable due to these circumstances, this coverage can help offset some of the incurred costs by offering reimbursement for unused ski days.
What types of medical coverage does AXA Travel Protection plans offer?
AXA covers three types of medical expenses:
Emergency Medical: Can cover medical expenses, hospital stays, and even emergency evacuations, covering the expenses of hefty bills and ensuring access to quality healthcare while away from home.
Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Can cover your immediate transportation home in the event of an accidental injury or illness.
Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation: Offers assistance in unexpected situations such as political unrest or natural disasters, ensuring safe and timely relocation to a secure location or repatriation back home.
Traveling with pre-existing Medical Conditions?
Traveling with pre-existing medical conditions can complicate your plans, but with AXA Travel Protection, we're here to support you during your trip.
Our Gold and Platinum plans offer coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. The Platinum plan, in particular, is our highest-offered choice for travelers who want our highest coverage limits and optional add-ons,
What does this mean for you? If you've got a medical condition that's been hanging around, you can qualify for coverage under our Gold and Platinum plan with a pre-existing medical condition, so long as it’s within 14 days of placing your initial trip deposit and in our 60-day look-back period. We're here to ensure you travel easily, no matter your health situation.
1.Can you buy travel insurance after booking a flight?
You can buy travel insurance even after your flight is booked.
2.When should I buy Travel Insurance to Iceland?
It's advisable to purchase travel insurance for your trip as soon as you have made your initial trip deposit (prepaid and non-refundable trip costs.)
AXA Travel Protection offers coverage as soon as you purchase your protection plan. We can give coverage against unforeseen events before you leave for your trip.
Additionally, our policies offer coverage for preexisting medical conditions and Cancel for Any Reason if you purchase your protection within 14-days of making your initial trip deposit.
3.Do Americans need travel insurance in Iceland?
Travel insurance is not mandatory for Americans visiting Iceland, but it is highly recommended.
4.What is needed to visit Iceland from the USA?
US citizens visiting Iceland typically need a valid passport, adherence to Iceland's stay conditions, and essential travel documents. They can enter the country for a period of 90 days without an visa for travel or business purposes.
5.What happens if a tourist gets sick in Iceland?
If you become sick in Iceland, travelers with AXA Travel protection can contact the AXA Assistance hotline 855-327-1442. Contact information is typically provided within the insurance documentation. Please ensure to read through your policy details and information.
Disclaimer: It is important to note that Destination articles are for editorial purposes only and are not intended to replace the advice of a qualified professional. Specifics of travel coverage for your destination will depend on the plan selected, the date of purchase, and the state of residency. Customers are advised to carefully review the terms and conditions of their policy. Contact AXA Travel Insurance if you have any questions. AXA Assistance USA, Inc.© 2023 All Rights Reserved.
AXA already looks after millions of people around the world
With our travel insurance we can take great care of you too
At your side, everyday